The American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (ARPA) will provide benefits to those who qualify for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance which is similar to Disaster Unemployment Assistance. ARPA provides additional Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits to Tennesseans impacted by the COVID-19 health emergency. The new federal law provides:
Pandemic Unemployment Assistance
- PUA provides up to 79 weeks of benefits.
- Weekly certification is required.
- Claimants are required to provide documentation of eligibility to qualify for PUA starting Jan. 31, 2021.
- PUA is available through the week ending July 3, 2021.
- The new balance provided in the American Rescue Plan will not be added to a claimant's current PUA claim but will automatically set up once the claimant has exhausted the original 50 weeks.
- A claimant's benefit year will be extended on PUA to continue receiving any available benefits program.
- If a claimant is currently on PUA, their benefit year will be extended to July 3, 2021, to continue receiving any available benefits on the prior program.
Federal Pandemic Unemployment Compensation
- FPUC provides an additional $300 in weekly benefits to eligible claimants.
- A claimant must be eligible through a separate unemployment program to receive FPUC.
- FPUC is available through the week ending July 3, 2021.
Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation
- PEUC is available to claimants who have exhausted state unemployment or have a valid approved Benefit Year Ending on or after July 1, PEUC is available up to 48 weeks if eligible.
- PEUC is available through the week ending July 3, 2021.
- The new balance provided in the American Rescue Plan will not be added to a current PEUC claim but will automatically set up once a claimant has exhausted the original 24 weeks.
- If a claimant is currently receiving PEUC, their benefit year was extended to July 3, 2021 to continue receiving any available benefits on the prior program.
Mixed Earners Unemployment Compensation
- MEUC provides eligible claimants who earned wages from a covered employer and had at least $5000 of income through self-employment, an additional weekly benefit.
- Claimants must submit documentation verifying self-employment income.
- Eligible claimants will receive an additional $100 for each week between Dec. 27, 2020 and July 3, 2021.
- PUA claimants are not eligible to receive MEUC.