When the department receives information that an identity theft has occurred, we flag the social security number used to file a UI claim. If anyone attempts to use that social security number again, the Department will request additional identifying information from the individual filing the claim. If the true owner of the social security number is not the individual filing the claim, we determine the true owner and deny a claim to the impostor.
Articles in this section
- I know someone is collecting unemployment and working for cash on the side. Whom do I contact to report fraud?
- How are fraudulent claims prevented?
- New Hire Reporting: What you can do to help prevent fraud
- What do you do to prevent social security numbers that have been used fraudulently from being used?
- Will my reserve account be charged for fraudulent unemployment claims?