Requirements and Exemptions for the Construction Industry
The Workers’ Compensation Exemption Registry is administered by the office of the Tennessee Secretary of State’s office for the purpose of providing a mechanism for legitimate business owners in the construction industry or construction service providers to obtain an exemption from workers’ compensation coverage requirements on him or herself. Employees are not eligible for the exemption registry, only employers with an ownership stake in the company. Exempt employers are still required to cover all of their employees, even if they have only one employee.
- How long is my exemption valid for?
- I'm associated with a general partnership. Is my general partnership required to be registered with the Secretary of State before I apply for an exemption?
- Are there fees associated with the exemption?
- How do I apply for a subsequent workers' compensation exemption?
- How do I apply for an initial worker's compensation exemption?
- Can a business entity apply for an exemption?
- How many exemptions are allowed for each of the qualification types?
- Questions related to eligibility and filing requirements of the TN Workers' Compensation Exemption Registry (which is, incidentally, administered by the Secretary of State's office).
- Can they fill an application on line and is there a fee?
- I own a construction company, do I have to have workers' compensation coverage on myself?